Monday, April 19, 2010

Jenna Runs the Marathon

While I sat behind my desk at my internship today, I couldn't help but think and wish I was in Boston. Today marked the 114th annual Boston Marathon, one of the world's most historic races, where runners from all around the world compete in a race to the finish. It's 26.2 miles, and from what I've been told, it's a long 26.2 miles, starting in Hopkinton and ending in Copley Square in the heart of the city.

More importantly, one of my roommates at BU, Jenna, ran today! After volunteering during last year's marathon, spending hours refilling and passing out water and gatorade cups to runners, she decided she was more than up to the challenge. Jenna ran the marathon through Dana Faber Marathon Challenge team, to raise money for cancer research and in memory of her cousin. This girl has incredible determination, let me tell you.

She started training early last summer, and even made a trip down to Ocean City to run in the Guts and Glory 5K in August with me. Here's a few pictures from the race last summer, when I was almost able to still keep up with her!



I eagerly anticipated 3:30pm Ireland time, which marked the beginning of the second wave and Jenna's start. I followed her online through the Boston Athletic Association's tracking system, which was great! She finished with a time of 4:16:38. Absolutely incredible! I couldn't be any more proud!

I got a chance to talk to her tonight, and it was great to hear how everything went. She seemed energetic, not sure how she is after running 26 miles! Congratulations Jenna, I'm so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment