Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Break: snowy Venice

Day 6
Wednesday, March 10th

Morning came super early for the five of us, try 3:15am. We bought train tickets to Venice, and thought to save some money, taking an early morning train would maximize our time in the city since we were scheduled to fly to Paris later that night.

We boarded the first of two trains at 4:40am, and planned to sleep most of the ride. There wasn't any heat on the train, so we stayed bundled up in our coats and scarves!
We switched trains in Padova, and fell asleep again. When I woke up, I was thoroughly surprised when I looked at the window: SNOW! What a surprise to us, although we'd heard a storm had hit Spain and was working its way across the continent.

Despite the snowy, Boston-like weather, we fully embraced that fact that we were in Venice! We jumped from cafe to restaurant, and from shop to shop for most of the day to avoid the cold. I ordered a huge 5-euro cup of cappuccino and chocolate croissant, which definitely hit the spot and warmed me up.

We did explore the city, walking over bridges and through the windy streets for a good portion of the afternoon. We found a cute little restaurant for lunch. I ordered a four cheese pizza, which was incredibly filling and I couldn't finish without the help of the other girls!



Before we even ordered, I knew my soaking wet boots had to come off of my feet. I even took off my socks to let my feet dry a little bit, and Colleen managed to catch me in the act!


Great lunch, and we left full and a little warmer than before. We spent the next few hours checking out some of the shops. I bought a beautiful glass bracelet from one of the jewelry stores, and we grabbed some gelato before leaving to head to the airport.

I was so proud of everyone, I know the weather wasn't the best, but we each tried our best to be positive, and I think we had a really fun day despite the snow.

My only regret was that we weren't able to ride in a gondola. It's the only thing we'd all talked about doing before arriving in Venice, and the weather just didn't want to cooperate for us! Oh well, I guess this just means I have to go back to Venice again someday to ride one!

Everyone was more than ready to get out of the snow, and to see Paris. We left Venice to head to the airport, where we probably spent over an hour packing and repacking our bags to fit Ryanair's carry-on luggage restrictions. Meghan wore many, many layers on the plane, in order to make her bag fit, here's proof:

We left Venice around 8:30pm and touched down in Paris after 10pm. After an hour bus ride, and a short cab ride we reached our hostel, the Regent and settled into our rooms. After an intense day of traveling, we all were more than ready for a good night's sleep. We had survived: 2 train, 2 bus and 2 cab rides- and 23 hours later, we had finally arrived in Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment