In an attempt to sum up what has been such an incredible trip backpacking through Italy and France, I'll be posting frequently over the next couple days to update everyone! While it's important to include photos of what and whom we saw along the way, many of the next few posts will also include documentation of the food we consumed as well: gelato, pizza, wine, pasta, paninis, croissants, cappuccino, crepes, croque madams, orangina, baguettes, kir and much more!
Day 1Friday, March 5thCaroline, Colleen, Meghan, Tara and I left campus around 4:45 for the airport. An early morning for some really excited girls! Despite minor luggage/carry-on size issues, we made it to Rome smoothly, 25 minutes early. I bought new sunglasses before leaving Dublin, but managed to break them before even getting to the gate, of course. Here's a pre-departure photo:

After nearly an hour ride from the airport to Rome via bus and train, we arrived at Termini Station in need of food and a map! We found our hostel, Hostel Termini/Stargate after a short walk and settled in before heading out for a full day of sightseeing. I was able to meet up with two friends from home, Ben and Andrea. It was great to get the chance to catch up some with them!
First stop, FOOD. We stopped at a small pizza shop along the way to the Colosseum. I had a delicious slice of margarita and a spinach calzone (unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of these, but don't worry I made sure to document everything else I ate over the past week!). Pizza in hand, we made our way to the Colosseum.

Just before we got inside, it started to rain. But as excited as we were, a little rain wasn't going to stop us!



We walked around near the Colosseum for a few hours before heading back to relax for a while before dinner. The five of us had our first real Italian dinner at Ristorante "La Tavernetta." Turns out the owner's brother has a restaurant in Boston's Italian district, The North End. I had incredible beef lasagna, and yes the pasta truly melts in your mouth!

The Trevi Fountain was next on our long list of things in Rome to see. As the legend says we each threw in three coins to ensure our return trip to Rome, a new romance and marriage in the future.


We end the night with gelato, the first of many! I chose banana and nutella, so good.

We wandered around the winding streets with our gelato, checking out some of the local shops. Overall, a great first day in Rome! We all slept well, full of pasta and gelato and so happy to finally be in Italy!
No comments:
Post a Comment