Sunday, February 21, 2010

Snow in Ireland


Just as we were getting ready to leave for the city centre last night, it started to snow. Now, if you're familiar with Ireland at all, you know it just doesn't snow on the island. I was skyping with my mom when I glanced out the window and there it was: SNOW!

Because Ireland is located in the gulf stream, the country has chilly winters, cool summers and loads of rain. It snowed a week before we arrived mid-January, and everyone has been telling us that the country practically shut down as a result of the whooping 2-3 inches they received. The snow came down in almost marble-size flakes for a good 20-30 minutes.

As we were walking out of our apartment building, several of us were hit by flying snowballs. Several of the Irish students who live a floor below us were in the middle of a snowball fight and saw us as the perfect target. I didn't make it very far outside before having to dodge a few snowballs, and that's when Elizabeth, Colleen and I decided to run back upstairs, change and come back outside to join in on the snowball fight. We made some snowmen, countless snowballs and new friends with Irish students who were equally as excited as us to see the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment