Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rain! Spinning!

It rained today! I never thought in a million years I would be excited about seeing rain! Right now, it's just drizzling but it's supposed to continue to rain throughout the night. We finished up our first week of classes today. More discussion about Ireland's timely transition to becoming an individual nation. Our history professor is organizing a trip to the western coast for next weekend (1/29-1/31). Some highlights include a visit to the Cliffs of Moher, a family farm in North Clare, walking across the Burren mountains, and a trip to Fanore Beach. The trip will finish up in Galway. After talking to two of my friends who are studying in London (they were planning to come to visit that same weekend), I'm getting excited thinking about traveling outside of Dublin and to see the Atlantic Ocean! It's weird to think about seeing the same ocean that I grew up living near, but from this side of the world.

Can't believe I've already been here for a whole week! Our group's bonded a bunch in such a short time, I'm just happy to be here!

Tonight, Colleen (from Pittsburgh) and I took a spinning class at the sport center. Everyone has always said spinning is difficult, but really fun. I'd have to agree with that too- at times it was challenging but I really liked the class. The instructor told the two of us afterwards that we were a little too enthusiastic when asked to sing the lyrics of "Eye of the Tiger"during one of the exercises. What can I say? I grew up watching the Rocky series (Thanks Dad!) and listening to the soundtrack. We were the only two Americans in the class, but everyone was really welcoming! I'd definitely go back and take the class again.

Between the core attack class yesterday, and spinning today, I'm sure I'll be pretty sore come tomorrow. I can say now that my high school soccer playing days were a long time ago, or maybe they just feel like they were.

Just ate dinner, and most of the group's planning to go into the city centre and Temple Bar area for the night. I'm sure there will be some celebrating: Casey's 21st and the first week of classes done! Ashley flies into Dublin tomorrow night with some friends, and I can't wait to see her!

No comments:

Post a Comment